Nowadays, VPN are used by anyone who needs an extra layer of security during web-browsing or transferring data over the Internet. But there is a very specific category of users with special requirements for the quality of VPN services. This is the category of gamers. On the one hand, the best gaming VPN must provide a high level of security and anonymity. Gamers need to access foreign gaming content safely and protect their financial transactions (many games have paid content).
Also, some gaming PCs may need strong protection against DDoS attacks. And gaming VPN software must be as fast as possible. Severe speed drops and lags will make gaming impossible. That is why it’s so important to find a perfect security/speed ratio when choosing a VPN.
Best Gaming VPNs
- 5000 servers in 62 countries
- Torrenting-optimized and obfuscated servers
- 6 simultaneous connection
- Onion over VPN and Double Encryption
- 2,000 servers in 148 locations
- Strict no-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Great for torrenting and streaming
- 1,100 servers in 60 locations
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Works on Smart TVs and routers
- SOCKS5 web proxy for torrenting
Best VPNs for Gaming:
- NordVPN – full review
- ExpressVPN – check review
- IPVanish – read more in our latest review
- VyprVPN – get more information from our review
- VeePN – get to know this product better from our review
- BufferedVPN – find out everything about prices and plans
Best VPN for Gaming: Fast, Reliable, and Secure
With several hundred VPN services available, only a few of them meet the requirements of gamers. Of course, these services are not free, but most of them offer a trial period for you to test the software under real conditions. Here is a list of best gaming VPNs in 2019 that you can rely upon without fear.
- Very secure, no logs kept
- Located in Panama
- A decent speed level
- Dedicated IP-addresses available
- Some features are excessive for gaming VPN software
Still, even without these extras, NordVPN ensures the highest security level due to the modern encryption used. It has servers in 62 locations and helps to bypass the most regional restriction. NordVPN is one of the fastest providers around, which is also important for gamers. A really cool feature is the possibility of renting a permanent dedicated IP-address for accessing certain platforms.
Moreover, it is great for streaming content and downloading files via torrents. It has servers in 94 locations – it gives a lot of freedom to travelers. Finally,ExpressVPN is one of the few providers that effectively cope with bypassing most severe regional restrictions, including the Great Firewall of China (check best VPNs for China). With this VPN, 4 games content accessing is real.
However, if you are going to use VPN for streaming, you’ll be slightly disappointed, as IPVanish can’t overcome Netflix blocking. Another problem is that the headquarters of the company are located in the USA, which means that it can be controlled or monitored by NSA (at least, theoretically). The number of servers owned by IPVanish is over 1000; they are located in 60 countries, which is pretty good though not excellent.
However, nothing is perfect in the world, and VyprVPN also has some drawbacks that prevent it from being the best VPN. Unlike other best gaming VPNs, it keeps some user logs and stores them for about a month. Taking into account the fact that the company belongs to the American Golden Frog group, one can feel a sort of discouraged by its policy. Also, it has problems with unlocking Netflix, so it is definitely not the best option for streaming.
The software is compatible with multiple platforms, lightweight, and easy to use. That said, it is one of the most affordable of gaming VPN providers, and the maximum discount can reach 85% (if you buy an annual plan). No surprise VeePN is loved by gamers in the US and around the world, and rightfully holds a high position in the rating of best VPN gaming products.
However, the coverage of 44 countries is good but not great. The compliance with the most advanced encryption standards makes BufferedVPN the best VPN for games. On the other hand, the provider keeps user logs. All in all, general impressions about the service are controversial, but it is definitely worthy of a closer look at for those looking for a reliable gaming VPN.
Why do You Need VPN for Gaming?
The sphere of application of virtual private networks (VPNs) is extensive. Any VPN is a secure channel between a user’s computer and any site on the Internet. For the creation of these secure channels, remote servers are used. They act as mediators between the user and the location of destinations. Gamers can use the VPN technology for several reasons.
- Access to geo-restricted games. Unfortunately, some states have severe censorship systems that block access to most foreign websites, including popular entertainment platforms. A gaming VPN service will help you to bypass the restrictions gently and access the sites where you’ll be able to play your favorite games. The same is about particular games that are unavailable in your country for specific reasons. With the best VPN service for gaming, you can play any games without limitations.
- A possibility to save on buying gaming content. Many popular games are paid or have some paid built-in content. Moreover, some options are slightly expensive. However, the price for the same product can vary depending on your country of residence. Thanks to a VPN for games, you can pretend to be a resident of another state and buy the needed content with hefty discounts.
- An extra layer of security. When playing online, you’ll need to create gaming accounts, insert personal data, and use your credit cards or other payment tools that can potentially reveal some of your banking details. When you use a VPN for games, all the data is reliably encrypted and hidden, so it is almost impossible to track you. Moreover, many services offer a firewall feature integrated with VPN software. The latter will protect you from possible hacker attacks.
At the same time, one needs to keep in mind that even the best VPN for gaming has a negative impact on performance and speed. Be ready to experience a speed drop of 5-20% after connecting to a virtual private network. If the speed reduction is more than 20%, try to connect to another server or use another VPN service.
Are There Any Free Game VPN Services?
If you scan the VPN market, you’ll find out that there are some free VPN products available. Unfortunately, none of them can be used for online gaming. The truth is that all free VPNs are severely restricted regarding their capabilities, features, connection speed, and bandwidth provided.
You can use some of them for basic tasks, but they are too weak for gaming. If you need a reliable VPN for video games, opt for a premium provider. Don’t forget that most of them offer huge discounts if you buy an annual or bi-annual package. Also, all the top-rated providers have a free 1-month or less trial period and a money-back guarantee.
What is the Best VPN for Gaming?
Even if you have a powerful gaming computer, a mediocre VPN service can degrade its performance significantly. Choosing the best gaming VPN, you need to focus on several key characteristics of the product.
No matter what VPN you use, you have to compromise on speed – absolutely any VPN software impact performance negatively. Sometimes, the speed drop is virtually unnoticeable – just about 5%; in other cases, it can reach 30% or more, which is a serious problem for a gamer. Here are some ways to minimize the losses.
- Choose the server that is closest to you. If possible, opt for a server located in your country – your IP will be changed anyway. But the speed loss will be less noticeable than with the overseas server.
- Choose the fastest VPN. It’s a mistake to think that all VPNs are similar. The VPNs for gaming can provide a consistently high speed, simultaneous connections, and enough servers to choose from.
The key goals of using VPN for gaming are to preserve anonymity, unlock geo-restricted content, and ensure stronger protection of personal and financial data. The best VPN for online gaming is the one with a zero-logging policy. If user logs are not collected, they are not traded or transferred to third parties. Also, it’s recommended to choose the providers located in countries with minimal governmental interference. For example, Panama, Singapore, Hong Kong have loyal legislative systems and don’t violate users’ right to privacy.
Coverage is of primary importance for those gamers who travel a lot. If a VPN provider has its servers in 150 locations, chances are at least some of these servers will be close to you wherever you go. If the coverage is limited, you can experience difficulties when moving from one place to another.