Amazon FireStick is a small portable HDMI-compatible drive that turns your TV into a smart multimedia center in a minute. It is a plug-and-play device that connects to the Internet via your home Wi-Fi network and opens access to streaming content from the world’s popular libraries, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others.
It often turns out though that the desired content is unavailable in your country. Fortunately, geo restrictions are easily removed with the help of VPN for FireStick.
Best VPNs for FireStick: Top 5
Why use a VPN for FireStick
There are several reasons to use a VPN (best VPNs overall) for FireStick:
- First and foremost, VPN helps to unlock geo-restricted sections of video libraries;
- Secondly, it prevents tracking of your activities by your ISP – your IP-address is changed as soon as you connect the virtual private network, and you “disappear” for the ISP;
- Thirdly, it protects you from potential cyber-threats;
- Finally, it opens access to popular British services, such as BBC iPlayer and ITV.
The Best VPNs for FireStick in 2020
- Available on Fire TV app store
- Affordable price
- 790+ Servers in 141 countries
- Connection problems with some servers
- No free trial
PureVPN has everything that is needed for effective content streaming. It can boast a super-wide coverage (over 140 countries of the world), high connection speed, and great streaming capabilities.
PureVPN software is easy to set up and use, and it is compatible with 20+ various platforms, including FireStick. You can download it directly from the FireTV app store. Under a single license, up to five simultaneous connections can be established.
The company is based in Hong Kong, out of the reach of prying eyes of Western governments. Finally, it is one of the most affordable services around: the price starts from $3.29 per month if you buy a 2-year plan. Such a price-quality ratio makes PureVPN our top pick of a VPN for Fire TV and FireStick.
- Check our professional PureVPN review;
- Very fast, no buffering while streaming videos
- Successfully unblocks all the popular streaming services
- Android app for FireTV and FireStick is available
- Costly pricing plans
- Only 3 devices can be used simultaneously
ExpressVPN has a reputation of the fastest VPN service in the world. It is one of the few providers that ensure consistent performance irrespective of the task executed. When it comes to content streaming, speed is crucial, so ExpressVPN is ranked high in the list of best VPNs for FireStick providers. It perfectly copes with the unlocking of all popular streaming services, including Netflix.
With over 1700 servers in 90 countries, ExpressVPN is a powerful network. It allows up to three simultaneous connections and is compatible with most platforms. It should be especially stressed out that ExpressVPN keeps no user logs.
The only small drawback of this VPN provider is its price. Even with the maximum discount, it costs $6.67 per month. Still, many users believe it is worthy of it.
- Read our professional ExpressVPN review.
- Consistently high speed
- Dedicated Android TV app
- Up to 6 connections
- Monthly plan is pricy
- Free trial availability is not evident
Fast, flexible, secure – NordVPN meets all the requirements of a typical user. The headquarters of the company is based in Panama – the country known for a respectful attitude to people’s right to privacy. The provider collects no user logs, which makes it a top choice of the millions.
NordVPN is notable for its strict adherence to security standards – on the top of basic security features, it offers a couple of unique options: double VPN and Onion + VPN. With an impressive number of proprietary servers (around 5000), NordVPN provides a lot of freedom to its users.
It is good at streaming and torrenting and allows six simultaneous connections. Download speed is high and relatively consistent (though it depends on the server’s location).
NordVPN is a medium-priced provider: its price with the maximum discount is $2.99 (if you buy a three-year plan).
- Read our total NordVPN review.
- Protection For Up To 10 Devices
- 1000+ servers in 60+ locations
- Dedicated FireTV app
- 7-days MBG
- US jurisdiction
IPVanish VPN is a VPN service that has a lot to be loved for. With over 1000 servers located in more than 60 countries, it is an impressive network that currently offers over 40 thousand unique IP-addresses. A zero-logging approach adds credibility to the company.
IPVanish is speedy when it comes to content streaming or downloading; it effectively copes with most geographical restrictions. Its software is compatible with most platforms, including FireStick. Moreover, the provider offers a dedicated app for FireStick that can be downloaded directly from the AppStore of Amazon.
All in all, it is a great VPN for Fire TV and FireStick. IPVanish allows establishing five connections under one license. As for the cost, it is on the pricier side if you opt for a monthly plan. But you can buy it with a discount of 69% at the price of $4.12 per month under the framework of a two-year plan.
- More in our NordVPN review.
- Impressive servers coverage
- Affordable long-term plans
- Industry-Leading Protection
- Cannot cope with Netflix block
- HQ in the USA
PIA (Private Internet Access) is one of the affordable but mighty providers of VPN software. On the plus side, it is speedy, compatible with multiple platforms, easy to use, and offers over 3000 servers in 33 countries, which is really impressive. On the minus side, Private Internet Access FireStick capabilities are limited, as it can’t unlock Netflix – the largest content repository in the world.
Though the company complies with high security standards, it is physically located in the USA, so the probability of the governmental tracking can’t be excluded. That said, the provider claims to have a zero-logging policy and uses strong encryption methods.
PIA is easy to install and use; on the official site you’ll find a lot of useful information and guides. The best price for the product is $2.91 per month given that you opt for a two-year pack.
- Read our Private Internet Access Review & Guide.
Free VPN for FireStick – is It Worthy of Trying?
If you want to take advantage of the best VPN for FireStick possible, you’ll have to pay several dollars per month for it. However, users often wonder whether they can use a free VPN service for this purpose. Theoretically, it is not impossible, but one needs to be prepared to the thought that very few free VPN providers can unlock popular streaming platforms, and none of them can work with Netflix correctly. However, there is a couple of free options for FireStick and Fire TV that do their job reasonably well.
- Windscribe is a totally free VPN service with servers in 50 countries of the world. Its monthly bandwidth is limited by 10Gb.
- Betternet is a free VPN provider with a premium version available. The free version is useable but severely limited in speed and bandwidth.
Other free options are either too slow or too limited in terms of free bandwidth to consider them as a possible alternative for streaming on FireStick.
Things to Consider When Choosing VPN on FireStick
Nowadays, there are over 300 VPN services available, but not all of them are equally brilliant. When choosing software for FireStick one needs to consider a range of characteristics:
- Speed. Streaming video content is impossible without consistently high download speed. Unlimited bandwidth and high speed are key parameters of a good VPN service for Fire TV and FireStick.
- Compatibility with different platforms. Most VPNs allow several parallel connections. Chances are, you’ll want to use it on FireStick, an Android smartphone, and a Windows computer simultaneously. Before you buy a VPN pack, make sure the software is compatible with all your devices.
- Logging policy. A virtual private network makes a user anonymous – this is one its main function. If a VPN provider collects and stores user logs, there is always a risk of this data revealing. There are known cases when user logs were sold to third parties. It makes sense to opt for the providers practicing a zero-logging approach.
- Data encryption. Encryption is a method of data protection. When choosing a VPN provider, check whether it supports a modern 256-bit encryption standard.
- Refunding policy. Top VPN providers always give a chance to get the money back if something goes wrong. The refunding period can reach 45 days.
- The number of connections. If you are going to use VPN on several devices, opt for the providers that offer more than one simultaneous connection (usually, 2 through 6).
- Customer support. There are a lot of situations where you may need a consultation. A professional and responsive support team is a big advantage of a VPN services provider.
How to Install VPN for FireStick
The best approach is to look for detailed instruction on the official website of the VPN provider (for example, how to install IPVanish on Firestick). If there is no instruction available, contact the support service for details. Basically, there are three methods of installation VPN software on FireStick.
- From the FireStick Home Screen. Simply search for VPN, choose the needed app in the list, and press “Get.” Download the app, launch it, log in, and start using VPN.
- Via ES File Explorer. If you want to use VPN that is absent in the Amazon App Store, the procedure for getting it will be slightly more complicated. First of all, you need to permit downloading apps from unknown sources (Settings – Device – Developer Options). Then install and launch ES File Explorer. In the app, choose Tools – Download Manager – New and type or insert a path to the desired file. Download and launch the new app.
There are some alternative methods, for example, downloading directly from the PlayMarket via an Android device (check 16 best Amazon Firestick Apps). These methods also require manual settings.
Typical Problems of FireStick VPNs and Ways to Resolve Them
Sometimes after a successful installation of VPN software, it still doesn’t work or fails to connect. In particular, you may face the following problems.
- Connection fails. Try to change the protocol used. Open the Settings and select either OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP). Alternatively, re-plug the FireStick device.
- Low download speed. Try to connect to another server. If possible, opt for the servers that are closer to you.
- Something else goes wrong. Uninstall the VPN application and install it again. If nothing helps, contact the support service and ask for a consultation.
How to Make the Most of Using VPN on Fire Stick: User Tips
Commonly, all you need to do is to turn on your FireStick device, establish a VPN connection and start streaming content. But sometimes, it doesn’t work this way. Visiting some platforms will require special actions from a user.
Use a New DNS Address for Your Fire TV
If you can’t unlock geo-restricted content after changing your IP address, make sure your location setting has been actually changed. Sometimes, you’ll need to change the DNS address of your TV.
- Find a suitable DNS address (you may ask your VPN provider for it or look at OpenNIC) and get to know your router IP-address.
- Connect the Wi-Fi network, and at the stage of entering a password, choose “advanced.”
- Insert your router IP and change the last digit to any other digit from 2 to 255.
- Choose Gateway and insert the true router IP.
- Set up the Network Prefix Length – 24.
- Type the real and the new DNS addresses under DNS1 and DNS2 respectively.
- Connect to the VPN.
Choose the Right Time Zone
When you stream under a fake IP, the time zone on your device must correspond to the time zone of the server used; otherwise, it looks suspicious. The timezone on Fire TV can be changed in the Home Screen menu – Settings – System.
Choose the Right Country in Your Account on Amazon
If you are going to stream content from Amazon Prime/Instant Video, you may need to change your location in the settings of your account. Open your profile on Amazon and click on “Manage Content and Devices.” After that, find the Settings tab, select “Country settings” – “Change.” Insert a real existing address in the territory of the US and save it by clicking the “Update” button.
Try Our Top Pick VPN for Free for 31 Days or Get a 68% Discount at Your Choice
Take advantage of the generous offer of our top-choice VPN provider PureVPN. Download software for your device, sign up, and test the product in all modes for as long as a month! If you don’t like its performance or simply decide that you don’t need VPN anymore, you may take your money back no questions asked. If you love it, you’ll be able to buy a 2-year plan with an impressive discount of 68%. Make your choice now and discover unlimited possibilities of your FireStick device and Fire TV.
FireStick and Kodi
You can use Kodi on your FireStick. Here is our guides: