One of the key reasons why people use VPN services is the desire to access content that is otherwise unavailable. One of the world’s largest repositories of first-class content is the famous Netflix. However, if you are outside the US, access to this platform will be blocked for you. The same is about Netflix UK: you can’t use it if you are in the US or any other country of the world.
That said, it is not impossible to bypass the regional restrictions and access the needed content from any region. VPN is the most reliable and popular tool for watching Netflix. Though Netflix makes all possible efforts to prevent attempts of streaming its content via VPNs, some VPN providers know how to get around Netflix VPN block. Keep on reading to know how to choose the best VPN for Netflix and enjoy unlimited access to the largest content library.
Which VPN works with Netflix?
To find a good VPN that will effectively work with Netflix one needs to understand what to look for. The price of the product doesn’t mean anything, as well as the number of features and even the number of servers. Basically, there are just four things to consider:
- Few things is the world are as annoying as low connection and download speed. With a low speed, you simply won’t be able to stream content, even if you get access to the desired platform. This is especially true for those who want to stream HD video.
- The quality of servers. Netflix regularly blocks IP-addresses associated with VPNs. High-quality servers are the ones that replenish their databases with new unspotted IPs.
- Dedicated servers and static IPs. They are usually provided for a small fee. The benefit of dedicated IP-addresses is that they are not associated with a VPN and not blacklisted.
Support. When you begin using Netflix, some questions will inevitably arise. Good VPNs have strong support teams that are always there to help, irrespective of the type of your problem.
TOP-3 High-Ranked VPNs for Netflix
The Best VPN for Netflix: Our Choice
We used several criteria for making a ranking of top VPNs for watching Netflix. First and foremost, we checked how the service copes with the Netflix VPN block – whether it can bypass it or not. Another important criterion is speed. When it comes to streaming and torrenting, speed is crucial. Finally, we checked the provider’s logging policy, compatibility of its products with various platforms, extra features, and price. Here are our winners.
- Fast speed
- Effectively bypasses Netflix restrictions
- Professional support
- Only three simultaneous connections
The fastest virtual private network in the world is also the best one for streaming. Actually, ExpressVPN Netflix capabilities are impressive. This is a cross-platform solution that can be run on up to four various devices simultaneously; moreover, there is a version for routers that helps to resolve a problem of Netflix access at the root. As of now Netflix can be accessed from any device via Express VPN by users residing in different corners of the world. It effectively unlocks US, UK, and Canadian sites.
Another strong point of this VPN service is strong encryption that ensures the ultimate protection of your data. Finally, thanks to generous money-back policy ExpressVPN offers, you have 30 days for testing the software.
On the minus side, ExpressVPN is relatively expensive. But you can save up to 49% by purchasing a 15-month plan. It will cost you slightly less than $100 – not bad for an unlimited Netflix access.
- Unlocks all popular streaming platforms
- Consistently high speed
- Up to 6 connections
- A monthly plan is expensive
- Incompatible with Linux
As a rule, when you access a website via a remote server, you experience a noticeable speed drop. To preserve good speed users are recommended to connect to servers located not far from them. NordVPN has a unique SmartPlay option that allows streaming from US Netflix without the need of connecting to US servers.
Other great NordVPN’s features that make it a good choice for watching Netflix are a huge number of own servers in over 60 countries of the world, an opportunity of simultaneously connecting of up to 6 devices, compatibility with most platforms (except for Linux), and honest no-logging policy.
Numerous tests prove that NordVPN copes with the Netflix VPN ban effectively, unlocking an access to US, UK, and Canadian Netflix platforms. Moreover, you can use some servers in France, the Netherlands and Hong Kong (for mobile devices only) to access Netflix.
NordVPN is cheaper than the industry’s leader Express VPN; moreover, you can save up to 77% by purchasing a 3-year license for just $99. Like some other VPN providers, NordVPN offers a trial period and an opportunity of taking money back within 30 days of purchasing.
- Fast and effective
- Up to five connections
- Some unique features, such as Chameleon protocol
- It is pricey
- Some logs are collected
Numerous independent tests confirm the great performance of VyprVPN when it comes to unlocking Netflix in the US. At the same time, there are reports of some issues with unblocking Netflix UK. Otherwise, it is a great VPN for streaming: reliable, fast, and powerful.
That said, VyprVPN is not completely flawless. It has one serious drawback that prevents many users from buying it. Unlike the majority of top VPNs, VyprVPN collects some user logs and keeps them for a month. Though there are no recorded cases of revealing any data, the most cautious users prefer to avoid even minor risks.
VyprVPN has a trial period of three days and allows three or five connections depending on the chosen plan. The price of its premium plan with the maximum discount is $6.67 monthly.
- Allows hassle-free streaming from Netflix
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- An array of smart features included
- The speed is inconsistent
- The monthly plan is expensive
CyberGhost VPN boasts a possibility of connecting up to seven devices simultaneously and a full range of features combined with affordable price. It allows hassle-free streaming from most popular sites, including Netflix. Thanks to the advanced security protocols and a zero-logging policy of the provider, users can enjoy top-notch protection without any limitations.
CyberGhost is not the fastest VPN around. To be more exact, its speed largely depends on your location and the location of the remote server. The latest version of the software has a built-in smart feature of the “best location” that allows finding the best server depending on the user location automatically.
The initial monthly price of CyberGhost is $12.99. But if you opt for the 18-month option, you get a whopping discount of 73%, and the monthly fee decreases to just $3.5.
- A lot of servers around the world
- It is affordable
- Up to five connections
- It is often blocked by Netflix
- Its speed is inconsistent
Truly saying, Netflix capabilities of IPVanish are not as brilliant as one can expect. And still, it is a decent, quite usable alternative of the previously mentioned providers. The problem is that it is one of the VPNs that is most frequently banned by Netflix. At the same time, its developers find new and new workarounds. As of now, it is possible to access Netflix via the servers of IPVanish. Its major advantage is a lot of servers (over 800) in 50+ countries, predominantly, in Europe and America.
As for the speed, it is best described as inconsistent, as it largely depends on the server location. If you are lucky to connect to Netflix via a server that is near you, the download speed will be pretty high. But those who have to connect via remote servers can suffer severe speed drops. IPVanish is a service that is compatible with multiple platforms, including iOS and Android.
Unlike the previously described VPN services, IPVanish doesn’t offer a free trial period. That said, it is cheaper. A one-year pack will cost you $77.99.
Other VPN Services That Work With Netflix
The number of VPNs is growing day by day, and many of them are suitable for streaming. Unfortunately, few of them are really effective when it comes to Netflix. This is due to the aggressive anti-VPN policy of Netflix. However, there are several more providers that cope with the prohibitions.
- GooseVPN is a relatively fast VPN from Netherlands that has some servers allowing streaming from Netfix.
- StrongVPN is another good Netflix VPN option. It provides a reasonable download speed and effectively unblocks most sites for content streaming, including Netflix.
- PrivateVPN is a service that helps to unlock Netflix in the US, Australia, and France. But don’t mix it with Private Internet Access, Netflix capabilities of which are severely restricted.
- VPNArea is one of the few providers that offer dedicated remote servers for streaming. It effectively unlocks Netflix in the US and the UK but the download speed is medium.
Popular VPN Services that Cannot Cope with Netflix Ban
Unfortunately, there are many other worthy VPNs that can’t overcome Netflix VPN restrictions. If your primary goal of using VPN is streaming content from this platform, these providers are not the best choice.
- PureVPN is a popular provider known for the largest coverages: its servers are located in most countries of the world. But PureVPN Netflix capabilities are very limited: one can access the streaming platform only via a browser extension from the provider, while the desktop client turns to be useless. That said, it effectively works with other platforms – Hulu, iBBC player, etc.
- TunnelBear is, probably, the most famous free VPN provider. Unfortunately, TunnelBear Netflix opportunities are unsatisfactory. In most cases, you won’t be able to use it.
- Avast Secureline is a US-based VPN provider with a range of useful and interesting features. Among other things, it allows streaming. Unfortunately, when it comes to unlocking Netflix Avast Secureline is useless.
How to Watch Netflix with VPN
Once you connect to a proper VPN, you’ll get the Netflix library of the chosen country unlocked. Of course, to stream content from this platform, one needs to have a valid Netflix account. Keep in mind that you are not going to behave like a criminal. You are acting as a regular user, but with the help of a VPN service, you pretend to be a resident of another country. In fact, using a VPN to access Netflix is quite easy.
- Get a VPN service (free services don’t work in most cases, so we strongly advise to opt for one of the above-recommended providers).
- Choose a server you want to connect to – most VPNs give such an opportunity. It is recommended to choose a server in the country where the needed platform is located. For example, for unblocking US Netflix, choose US servers.
- If you see a proxy error or a streaming error, try to connect to another server in this country. If your attempt fails again, contact the support service of your VPN provider and ask for help.
What are the True Reasons of the Geo-Restrictions Set by Netflix?
Netflix is a global streaming platform but the content available on it varies much from one country to another. So Netflix in the UK is different from Netflix in the US. But what is the reason of such an approach? Why can’t they provide the same content in all the countries of the world?
There is only one reason for geo-restrictions – copyright protection. All the existing content (movies, shows, series, clips, etc.) is produced by commercial companies (studios) that have contracts in particular countries. It means that the countries that have no contracts with these studios have no right to broadcast their content, otherwise, they will infringe the copyright law.
Being a homeland of the vast majority of the world-level studios, the US can boast the largest collection of movies and shows. No surprise the content that is available on Netflix US can’t be accessed in the UK or the Netherlands.
How do VPNs Help to Bypass Geo-Restrictions?
VPNs unlock an access to Netflix by modifying users’ IP-addresses. Thus, if you are trying to connect Netflix US, you need to connect a remote server located in the US first. By doing so, you pretend to be a resident of the US, and Netflix doesn’t block you.
Keep in mind, however, that it is not that simple. Netflix has its own powerful security service that does its best to reveal and blacklist “fake” IPs. That is why top VPNs regularly add new IP-addresses that work until they are detected and blocked.
With a good VPN, you’ll have all the Netflix content at your disposal. US Netflix library, for example, offers 2000 titles more than the libraries of other countries.